What is an Hepatic?
Hepatics are herbal remedies which in a wide range of ways aid the work of the liver. They tone, strengthen, and in some cases increase the flow of bile. In a broad holistic approach to health they are of great importance because of the fundamental role of the liver in the workings of the body.
How Hepatic Work
The bitters and cholagogues all act as hepatics and their actions should be briefly reviewed. However, a wide range of remedies without such specific actions also act beneficially towards the liver in myriad of ways.
- Taraxacum officinalis (Dandelion root)
- Silybum marianum (Milk thistle)
- Cynara scolymus (Artichoke)
- Glycyrrhiza glabra (Licorice)
- Curcuma longa (Turmeric)
- Trigonella foenum-graecum (Fenugreek)