What is an Hypnotic?
These are remedies that will help to induce a deep and healing state of sleep. They are synonymous with Sedatives, and many are Nervine Relaxants when used in high doses.
How Hypnotic Work
The mode of action for these herbs vary from mild muscle relaxing properties through volatile oils that ease psychological tension, to remedies that contain strong alkaloids that work directly on the nervous system to induce sleep. Some of the most effective hypnotics are illegal to the very degree of their effectiveness, including the whole range of opium poppy derivatives. These herbs should always be used within the context of an overall approach to sleep problems involving relaxation techniques, food and lifestyle in general.
- Piper methysticum (Kava Kava)
- Passiflora incarnata (Passionflower)
- Eschscholzia california (California Poppy)
- Lactuca virosa (Wild lettuce)
- Piscidia erythrina (Jamaican Dogwood)
- Valeriana off. (Valerian)