- It contains salicylic acid, which is used to make aspirin. It is therefore effective in the treatment of headaches, migraine and insomnia.
- The whole plant is anti-inflammatory, diaphoretic, diuretic, emollient, expectorant, and laxative. It is taken internally in the treatment of bronchitis, respiratory catarrh, coughs, asthma, and cancer of the breast, lungs or digestive tract.
- Externally, it is used to treat mouth and throat infections.
- It is considered useful in the treatment of spasmodic coughs and rheumatism of the wrist.
- It has been used in the treatment of urinary complaints are considered to be a good remedy for gravel.
Viola odorata, Sweet Violet, is a native of the Mediterranean region and parts of SW Europe. Today it is cultivated and grown spontaneously on six continents, in Mediterranean and temperate climates. It also thrives in mountains in the tropical zone, even above 3500 m altitude. It is indigenous to India and found in Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh-Chamba & Kangra, and Kumaon hills in Uttrakand.