- The herb is used for osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis.
- The roots and stems are used to treat fractures of the bones.
- The stem paste boiled in limewater is given for asthma.
- The herb powder is administered in treatment of hemorrhoids and certain bowl infections.
- Stem juice is used for scurvy, debilitating menstrual disorders, otorrhoea and epistaxis.
- The herb is fed to cattle to stimulate milk flow.
- The strong fleshy quadrangular stem is traditionally used to treat acid reflux of gastritis, eye disorders, piles and anemia.
- It has anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, antidiabetic, anti ulcerative, and analgesic properties.
It is believed that the plant, Cissus quadrangularis, is native to India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Java and West Africa. It is found throughout India, in warmer regions, grown in boundary walls, gardens, hanging pots, cultivated fields, etc.