- It has anti diabetic, anticancer, anti- inflammation, antivirus, and cholesterol lowering effects.
- The fruit, stems, leaves and roots of bitter melon have all been used in traditional medicine to help treat ailments such as hyperlipidemia, digestive disorders, microbial infections and menstrual problems.
- It possess powerful antiviral properties that can stimulate the immune system and activate the body’s natural killer cells to help fight off viruses such as white spot syndrome virus and human immunodeficiency virus.
- It has anti-carcinogenic properties and can be used as a cytotoxic agent against many types of cancer.
- The plant possesses anti-helmintic properties, which are effective in the treatment of malaria.
- It has also been used as an abortifacient agent used to induce abortions.
- The extract of the seed also have antispermatogenic effect.
Momordica charantia is a tropical plant that is widely cultivated in Asia, East Africa, and South America. In India it is found in Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, Odisha, Assam Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.