- It’s seeds are acrid, bitter, aphrodisiac, tonic, sedative, used for diseases of the blood.
- The plant is known to possess antitumor, hypoglycemic, aphrodisiac, antibacterial, free radical scavenging and lipid peroxidation, hepatoprotective and haematopoietic activity.
- It contains lupeol, stigmasterol, butelin, fatty acids, and alkaloids.
- The whole plant, roots, seeds, and ashes of the plant are extensively used in traditional system of medicine for various ailments like rheumatism, inflammation, jaundice, hepatic obstruction, pain, urinary infections, oedema and gout.
- Petroleum ether and chloroform extract of leaves show haematopoietic activity as it significantly increases erythrocyte count, leukocyte count, and haemoglobin count.
- It is used against inflammations of the skeleton-muscular system and also used against nausea.
Asteracantha longifolia Is found in moist deciduous forests and grasslands; State - Kerala, District/s: Palakkad, Kottayam, Kollam, Idukki, Pathanamthitta, Malappuram, Kannur, Thiruvananthapuram, Thrissur and Wayanad.