- It is widely used as a naturopathic treatment for diabetes, it also demonstrates promising effects in the treatment of obesity, arthritis, hyperlipidemia, Parkinson and hypercholesterolemia.
- The bioactive compounds of plant have antimicrobial, antiinflammatory, and anticancer properties.
- The leaves of the plant are used for the treatment of obesity, dental caries. It is anti microbial and blood purifier, helps in stomachache and rheumatism.
- It is bitter, acrid, thermogenic, digestive, liver tonic and anodyne.
- The alcoholic extract of leaves of the plant exhibits significant wound healing.
Gymnema sylvestre is found in tropical and subtropical regions, well distributed in parts of central and southern India and in the southern part of China, tropical Africa, Malaysia, and Sri Lanka. In India it is popularly found in Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal, Kerala, Haryana, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, and Punjab.